Gov Ball Left me on Read

I owe you guys a couple blogs this week.
Gov ball f***ing sucked, for real. I was there on Sunday with my sister and our friends. We all paid around $150 each for a day of music and frolicking. INSTEAD we got our shit rocked. We woke up on Sunday to a beautifully sunny day and to our surprise, a notice that Gov Ball was monitoring the weather and asking people not to come yet. All our research on the weather forecast just showed a small percentage chance of one hour of rain in the afternoon. Confused as hell, we waited watching the sunny day pass us by. Within the hour we got another notice that the gates opening would be postponed until 6:30 pm. Well there goes the WHOLE DAY. After the insanely long journey to get to the island, we arrive around 7:30 to catch most of Bazzi’s set. Next we make our way over to Louis the Child after getting bumped around for about 30-45 minutes we went to get a snack and all of a sudden these messages pop up on all the stage screens and people get on the intercom system to tell us we need to leave the island and seek shelter immediately. Total “The Purge” vibes. At first, no one was leaving. People either didn’t understand, thought it wasn’t real, or they were pissed, or a combination of those. We finished our snacks nonchalantly and then we started to feel the storm coming. The winds picked up and we realized it was a long trek home and we were about to get caught in this storm. The rain started to fall and it was coming down hard. We threw on our rain gear and booked it to a tent along with thousands of others, only pausing for a minute before deciding how we should continue. We agreed that walking back over the bridge was probably going to be the most efficient way of getting back so we started to run, all holding hands in an effort not to get separated by the crowds of people all trying to do the same. We could hardly see anything in front of our eyes because the rain was so hard. Water was pouring from the bridge and everyone was freaking out. No one knew what direction to go to even get to where you cross the bridge. Lightning was striking all around us and several thoughts about whether or not the bridge was a good idea had crossed our minds. Would it kill us all if lightning struck it? Would the winds and rain be too strong for us to get across it? I was having final destination-esque visions of the wind ripping people off the bridge to their deaths. We all paused and realized there were some real possibilities of danger if we continue. All of a sudden these busses pull up and everyone rushes them. After about 5 minutes the doors open, no one knows where the busses are going but those busses quickly became the small boats on the Titanic. People were throwing each other on the bus and pushing others off. I watched a girl a few people away from me get an elbow to the face that bloodied her nose. My sister pulled me up and we all got smooshed and separated but at least we were all on the bus. The doors closed and at one point I had no feet on the ground and I was hanging on to the bar above me because there was no space. I don’t know how much time had elapsed but it felt like an eternity waiting for the bus to leave. Crammed and claustrophobic, I watched out the window as the water levels were rising under us. I started to freak out thinking about drowning in this bus or being stranded on a flooding island that now seemed impossible to get off of. I needed to get off the bus, in that moment I genuinely thought the chances of us dying there were greater than risking the walk in the storm. In my head, we needed to go back to walking because we were sitting ducks sitting on a bus that seemed like it would never move. I began shouting the names of my sister and my friends. I shouted that we needed to try to get off. The couple that I was basically on top off saw that I was worried and told me that it was safer on the bus, they reassured me why this was better than walking and told me to get off at the first stop and go straight to the subway. These strangers had been able to comfort me more than they knew. They told me about the riot that broke out in the section of the concert they were at when they were trying to leave. The security guards were standing in the way trying to stop people from getting on the busses/ trying to control the crowd, but panicked civilians were trampling each other trying to get out safely. They said they had the same fears as I did and that’s why they said something to me. We just needed to get off that island. My knee had been crushed up against some metal part of the bus but it had been so long it stopped bothering me after a little while. Finally the bus starts moving and we all scream of joy. Finally we pile off the bus and we can breathe again as we make our way to the subway and then the train, dripping wet from head to toe. I will never be back to Gov Ball. This was such a traumatic experience for something that should have been a great day. As if missing some of our favorite bands and artists in the gorgeous weather (that lasted all day until 9:30 pm) that we had been looking forward to wasn’t enough, we ALSO had to go through actual hell just to remain safe and get home. We witnessed and were a part of the tens of thousands of people panicking chaotically in a total frenzy. We were all in survival mode because we just had no idea what was happening. Music festivals are hard to operate, there is no doubt in that, but a storm like this was a foreseeable risk that they knew about ALL day and could’ve handled SO much better. Either cancel it all together or cut it short because the rest of the day that we could’ve been listening to music was perfect. So that’s how I spent my Sunday, just wanted to document it, so thanks for listening! Going to be posting another blog with more interesting content very soon!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s